The UK has about 31 medical schools, out of which, most of them are located in cities like London with a few exceptions.
All the medical schools in UK has good reputation and are good for different reasons. As an international student, you can choose your medical school based on where you would like to live, the type of course you would like to pursue and the universities which are ready to accept you.
Usually in the UK, students generally begin medical schools after secondary education unlike in the US where a bachelor's degree is required for entry to medical school.
Entry to medical schools in the UK is very competitive. Most schools require candidates to take up entrance test such as the United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT).
Following are the top 10 schools in the UK for medicine. Take a look to know more:
University of Oxford
- The medicine school at Oxford provides a well-rounded intellectual training with particular emphasis on the basic science research that underpins medicine.
- The school has retained a distinct 3 year pre-clinical stage that includes studying towards a BA Honours degree in Medical Sciences, followed by a three-year clinical stage.
To know more visit: University of Oxford
University of Cambridge
- Medical education in the Clinical School builds on the scientific basis to medicine developed in the Medical and Veterinary Sciences Tripos in the first three years of the Cambridge medical studies programme.
- They offer clinical teaching programme that allows students to develop excellence in the clinical, communication, attitudinal and practical skills required for good medical practice.
To know more visit: University of Cambridge
University College London (UCL)
- UCL Medical School is one of the largest in the country with a yearly intake of 330 undergraduate students on the MBBS programme and it has the widest range of integrated BSc opportunities in the UK.
- They prepare their graduates to meet the needs of today's and tomorrow's patients.
To know more visit: University College London (UCL)
Imperial College London
- The course is delivered through traditional and innovative methods of teaching. Students will have direct contact with patients from the first term.
- They also will have opportunity to develop skills in research in research techniques and methodology through a supervised research project.
To know more visit: Imperial College London
King's College London
- The Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine offers globally acclaimed academic expertise in a wide range of basic, applied and clinical sciences.
- The specialist programmes here combine rigorous academic content with training in clinical competencies, research and critical analysis.
To know more visit: King's College London
University of Edinburgh
- It is a well renowned and well respected university, and a degree from the University of Edinburgh is recognised world-wide.
- The curriculum aims to equip graduates with the knowledge, understanding, skills and competencies required to be a doctor for medical practice.
To know more visit: University of Edinburgh
University of Manchester
- It offers an exceptional learning experience with rich educational heritage. It is known for its cutting-edge research and innovation.
- The university enjoys a global reputation for its pioneering research and its problem based approach to learning.
To know more visit: University of Manchester
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- It has an outstanding international reputation in public health and tropical medicine.
- The teaching programme has a combination of laboratory-based biological courses and non-laboratory social scientific courses.
To know more visit: London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Queen Mary University of London (QMUL)
- The MBBS 5-year programme in Medicine is designed to equip you with a fundamental knowledge and understanding of medicine, and to develop the skills and attitudes you need in order to apply that knowledge in practice.
- QMUL is the London's only fully integrated residential campus university in the heart of London.
To know more visit: Queen Mary University of London (QMUL)
University of Nottingham
- It is one of the world's best universities, known for its commitment to learning and world-class research.
- It is one of the universities in UK that offers full-body dissection. They have a strong practical philosophy where students will benefit from early interaction with patients through visits to general practices and hospitals.
To know more visit: University of Nottingham