The engineering colleges in Maharashtra offer the largest number of mechanical engineering programmes after Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh. Maharashtra offers two of India's known paper and pulp programmes, and three of India's five oil technology programmes.
Maharashtra also accommodates a well-regulated, private education sector, with a host of deemed universities dotting the entire breadth and width of the state.
Here is the list of the top 10 engineering colleges in Maharashtra 2014:
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- IIT Bombay, the second in the chain of IITs, was set up in 1958.
- It was the first IIT to be set up with foreign assistance.
- The funds came from UNESCO in roubles from the Soviet Union. Read more
College of Engineering, Pune
- College of Engineering, Pune (CoEP), chartered in 1854, is a nationally respected leader in technical education.
- The institute is distinguished by its commitment to finding solutions to the great predicaments of the day through advanced technology. Read more
Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- The Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT) Mumbai was established as the Department of Chemical Technology on 1st October, 1933 by the University of Mumbai, through active support of industries and philanthropists.
- The Institute was most popularly known as UDCT, Mumbai. Research has been an integral part of ICT since its inception and it has created over 500 first generation entrepreneurs. Read more
Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai
- The Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute was given its present title on January 26, 1997.
- Founded in 1887, it was then known as Victoria Jubilee Technical Institute.
- The institute is reputed for excellent training in courses in engineering and technology at diploma and, degree and post graduate levels over three thousand students. Read more
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur is one of the first six Regional Engineering Colleges established under the scheme sponsored by Government of India.
- The college was established in June 1960 as a part of national integration initiative through joint venture of Govt. of India and Govt. of Maharashtra and named after the eminent engineer, planner and statesman of the country Sir M. Visvesvaraya. Read more
Walchand College of Engineering, Sangli
- In 1947, this college made a modest beginning with Civil Engineering undergraduate course. (B.E. Civil), with an intake capacity of 60.
- Subsequently, undergraduate courses in electrical and mechanical engineering, B.E.(Elec) and B.E.(Mech), with intake capacity of 60 each were introduced during the years 1950 and 1951 respectively. Read more
Symbiosis International University, Pune
- Padma Bhushan Dr. S. B. Mujumdar established Symbiosis in 1971 on the principles of the Vedic thought of "World as One Family."
- Symbiosis International University was given "Deemed to be University" status by the Ministry of Human Resource Development in 2002.
- The University was accredited by NAAC with Grade 'A' and CGPA of 3.35 in 2009. Read more
International Institute of Information Technology, Pune
- International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) formerly known as Hope Foundation and Research Centre is registered under the Bombay Public Trusts Act, 1950 and the Societies Registration Act, 1860 as a Public Charitable Trust and a Society respectively.
- It was established by Mr. P. P. Chhabria, Chairman of Finolex Group of Industries and well known philanthropist of India, and the past President of Mahratta Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (MCCIA). Read more
Government College of Engineering, Aurangabad
- Government College of Engineering, Aurangabad is an engineering college in Maharashtra State of India.
- It was affiliated to the Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University and was established in 1960. Read more
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune
- The Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Pune is a premier institute dedicated to research and teaching in the basic sciences.
- Established in 2006, the institute falls under the purview of the Ministry of Human Resource Development. Read more