It is a known fact that we all try hard to impress others. Be it a dress, car or a degree, human belief in general is that they think it is vital to impress the other person, whether that person has a role to play in their lives or not.
This quality develops at an early age. Remember those times when you or a friend of your's would proudly show their dolls or toy cars to the rest of the gaping kids in the group? This was a way to claim importance. The base is that we all work for appreciation, encouragement and recognition.
The trend still exists. As a teacher you are well aware of the types of students in the class and their varying learning ability.
Read "Types of learners that can be found in a classroom", to know more
Also, the fact that the children learn better when appreciated must be given highest importance. It is because when we understand this, we learn that it isn't just about how intelligent the children are, but how much of an effort did they put to get the result they ended up with.
The key factor is that every child works with a lot of anticipation. The psychology is that, when they tend to put in their time and effort into something, they do so by constantly expecting a huge appreciation. The intelligence has nothing to do.
Even an intelligent child would carry out a work in an intelligent manner and would expect encouragement for the same.
How to invest on children's effort more than their intelligence?
- Congratulate them for their efforts.
- Praise them for their good qualities, like honesty, hard work etc.
- Give them perks. Whenever they do something for which they have put their hearts and souls out, give them something to keep their spirits high. For example, a "best girl/boy" badge, a small gift, a toffee etc.
- Award them with things they like whenever they succeed at something after putting in their efforts.
Begin this by:
- Recognising their efforts.
- Encouraging them when they fail. So that they learn not to give up.
- Appreciating their efforts.
Benefits of doing this:
- When you begin to give importance to their efforts over intelligence, the children will be inspired to become more better at things they do.
- They will be able to take up new challenges.
- They will be open to learning. This is of utmost importance.
- They will develop self-confidence.
- They will begin to trust their ability to do more.
- They will never face inferiority complexes.
All of these will aid them to become the best they can. Each child will become responcible for his/her own deeds. Also, this will make you a teacher who is seldom partial.
This is what we had to say, please share what you feel here https://www.facebook.com/careerindia.com