All parents want their children to have skills for them to succeed as adults. As this is important for every person, parents need to be actively involved in setting high goals for their children. Young people need guidance to explore career possibilities and make important decisions, as the work environment today is more complex today than ever.
Dissatisfaction in career is inevitable if students don't understand themselves and what they want out of life before making important career decisions. Proper guidance helps students make good career decisions.
As a parent, your goal here is not just to help prepare your child for a career, but rather for the right career. You need not be an expert to help your child, but giving them proper guidance at the right time is essential. Do follow the below step-by-step process to make this task easier:
- The first step to career development is dreaming. Know these dreams, and encourage your children to hold onto them. Transform your child's dream into a practical career plan. Direct the resources so as to enable your child to move from dreaming to planning.
- Prepare them to make important career decisions. Hasty decisions can lead to major problems down the line. Career satisfaction is possible, only when you like what you do. Help your child to identify his/her interests and connect them to appropriate careers.
- Assess your child's personality, this enables your child to discover his attitude about the world, people and work. Explore careers to get detailed information about any occupation. Help him use all the things he has learned about himself to interpret this career information.
- After career search, your child should learn about career paths. The knowledge about career paths play a major role in choosing a career. Career path will determine the type of college education your child will pursue.
- Your child needs to evaluate career options to rank them in terms of importance. This will help him to evaluate his career choices based on his personal criteria. Make your child understand, what is important to him about a career. This will show your child's personal needs, personality and expectations.
- Help your child develop specific traits attitudes and values that he should acquire in order to be successful in the world of work. Give your child a hand in building career tools like resumes, portfolios, cover letters, and interviewing that he will need to get a job right after college.
These steps show you a pathway to construct a career plan that is flexible and practical. Following these ten steps, you can help your child prepare for a career. Teach your child to dream to begin to develop your child's career.