Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship is an initiative to address the climate change issues in India and the US. The two countries in a bilateral cooperation have launched this scholarship to cooperate on climate change issues in both the nations.
This fellowship, being named after the late Indian President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam as it is part of a commitment made by the the US President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Narendra Modi to build long-term capacity to address climate change-related issues in both the countries.
The fellowship, according to reports, will be operated by the binational US-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) under the umbrella of the prestigious Fulbright programme. The selected candidates will have affiliation with one U.S. host institution during the grant.
The first call for applications was announced for the fellowship. For further details on the fellowship and application details read further.
Details of Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship:
- The scholarship is jointly funded by the governments of both the countries.
- The scholarship will enable 6 Indian Ph.D students and posdt-doctoral reasearches to work with host US institutions.
- The fellowship will be for 6-12 months.
For Doctoral research students:
- It is designed for Indian research scholars registered for Ph.D in an Indian institution.
- Duration of fellowhship: 6-9 months.
For Postdoctoral research students:
- It is designed for research scholars and Indian faculty who are in the early stages of their research career.
- These research scholars shall have access to some of the finest resources in their area of interest and will help build long-term collaborative relationships with U.S. faculty and institutions.
- Duration of fellowship: 8-12 months
Benefits of Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship:
These fellowships provide round-trip economy class air tickets between India and the U.S., a monthly stipend, accident and sickness programme for exchanges as per the U.S. government guidelines, a modest settling-in allowance, and a professional allowance.
Fellowship for Doctoral Research
- Candidates should have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the U.S.
- Applicants must be registered for a Ph.D. programme in an Indian institution at least one year prior to August 1, 2016.
- If candidates are employed applicants should follow the instructions carefully regarding employer's endorsement.
How to apply:
- Eligible candidates can apply online.
- Candidates are also required to upload a 'writing sample', including a copy of an article or paper published/presented or extracts from the Master's/M.Phil. thesis, in an online application form.
- Last date to submit applications is July 15, 2016