University of Michigan is offering an online course on Programming for everybody (python). The course aims to teach everyone to learn the basics of programming computers using Python.
The course has no prerequisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course.
About the Course
The course is specifically designed to be a first programming course using the popular Python programming language. The pace of the course is designed to lead to mastery of each of the topics in the class.
The course will have simple data analysis as the programming exercises through the course. Understanding how to process data is valuable for everyone regardless of your career. This course might kindle an interest in more advanced programming courses or courses in web design and development or just provide skills when you are faced with a bunch of data that you need to analyse.
- Week One: Introduction - Why we programme?
- Week Two: Variables and Expressions
- Week Three: Conditional code
- Week Four: Functions
- Week Five: Loops and Iteration
- Week Six: Strings
- Week Seven: Files
- Week Eight: Lists
- Week Nine: Dictionaries
- Week Ten: Tuples
- Optional Topic: Regular Expressions
- There are no pre-requisites for this course. The course avoids any advanced mathematics.
- If the candidate is going to do the programming exercises on computer (optional), he/she should have knowledge on how to download and install software and be able to make folders and organize files on the computer.
- Course length: 10 weeks
- Course starts on: June 1
For further information, click here