EPFL is the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne. The past decade has seen EPFL ascend to the very top of European institutions of science and technology: it is ranked #1 in Europe in the field of engineering by the Times Higher Education (based on publications and citations), Leiden Rankings, and the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Interested candidates can enroll for this course on or before 22, February 2017.
What are space mission design and operations course?
Space exploration is truly fascinating. From Sputnik to the Apollo, followed by the assembly and exploitation of the International Space Station and the successful operation of the Hubble Space Telescope and other space observatories, we are uncovering many mysteries of our universe.
Also made huge progress learning how to work and be productive in outer space.
This course builds on university level physics and mechanics to introduce and illustrate orbital dynamics as they are applied in the design of space missions.
You will learn from the experiences of Claude Nicollier, one of the first ESA astronauts, specifically through his role in the maintenance of the Hubble Space Telescope on two occasions.
The course focuses on conceptual understanding of space mechanics, maneuvers, propulsion and control systems used in all spacecraft. You will gain knowledge of the challenges related to the use of the space environment as a scientific and utilitarian platform.
What are the topics covered in space mission design and operation course?
- Introduction to the Course.
- Introduction to Space Environment.
- Introduction to Orbital Mechanics.
- Introduction to Space Systems and Space Tethers.
- The Space Shuttle and the International Space Station (ISS).
- Special Subjects on Human Spaceflight, and Future of Space Exploration.
What will you learn from space mission design and operation course?
- Fundamental laws of mechanics and orbital mechanics
- Orbital maneuvers
- Types of space missions and their objectives
- Space environment
- General concepts of space vehicle architecture
- Attitude determination and control
- Onboard systems
- Risk management and reliability
- Key design elements for successful missions, in particular related to human spaceflight
Duration of the data structure course?
- Length: 8 weeks
- Effort: 2-4 hours per week
- Price: Free
- Institution: EPFLx
- Subject: Engineering
- Level: Intermediate
- Languages: English
- Video transcripts: English