Northwestern University and coursera offers an online course on teaching the violin and viola for free.
In a practical 10-session format, Creating a Healthy Foundation presents a holistic approach to beginning violin and viola pedagogy, offering both new and seasoned string teachers a step-by-step exercise guide and repertoire that will have students looking and sounding terrific.
About the course:
Join this course to explore the fundamental principles and early stages of teaching violin and viola through a series of engaging video lectures and lesson demonstrations, including:
- Master classes with some of the world's top string pedagogues
- Individual lesson demos of teaching violin/viola set up, left and right hand technique and pieces from the early violin/viola repertoire
- Group lesson demos of teaching music theory, ear training and fun activities that encourage good playing habits
- A "field trip" to the violin shop, where we will outfit a new beginning student with a proper instrument and bow
1: Beginning Stages
2: Bow Arm and Hand
3: Putting It All Together
4: Pieces in the Key of A Major
5: Playing with the Whole Bow
6: Pieces in the Key of D Major
7: Pieces in the Key of G Major
8: Note Reading, Vibrato, and the Group Class
9: Favorite Exercises for the Older Student
10: The Master Class
- Durat: 3 to 5 hours / week
To apply, click here.