Do you want to be a writer? Or you need good writing skill in order to meet your professional requirements? Duke University has come up with the course English Composition - I which is available online on coursera.
The course will teach the students to read carefully, write effective arguments, understand the writing process, engage with others' ideas, cite accurately, and craft powerful prose. The course will start on November 7, 2016. It is a ten weeks course. The course is free of cost and is available to students across the globe.
Objectives of the Course:
- Summarize, analyze, question, and evaluate written and visual texts
- Argue and support a position
- Recognize audience and disciplinary expectations
- Identify and use the stages of the writing process
- Identify characteristics of effective prose
- Apply proper citation practices
- Discuss applying your writing knowledge to other writing occasions
What one can learn from the course?
Given is the syllabus of the course, Each module is to be completed in a week's time.
- The Writing Process
- Critical Reading
- Project 1: Visual Analysis
- Revision Strategies and Visual Analysis Revision
- Project 2: Case Study
- Writing Cohesively and case Study Revision
- Project 3: Op-Ed
- Crafting Powerful Prose and Op-Ed Revision
- Transferring Writing Practices, Skills and Knowledge to New Contexts
- Writing in Humanities, Social Science and Natural Sciences
Creators of the Course:
The course has been designed by the Duke University. The university has about 13,000 undergraduate and graduate students and has a world-class faculty.