Powerful Tools for Teaching and Learning: Digital Storytelling is a free online course conducted by the University of Houston System
Learn the digital storytelling process and use the skills learned from the course to create a digital story for use in a K-12 classroom, composed of still images, audio narration, music and text.
About the Course
Powerful Tools for Teaching and Learning: Digital Storytelling introduces educators to digital storytelling and explores ways to use digital stories to enhance students' learning experience. The course is designed to be comprehensive yet fundamental. By comprehensive we mean that the course provides a solid foundation to all of the components of a digital story and illustrates these components with tutorials, example stories and links to additional readings. The course also provides a hands-on opportunity for learners to create their own digital stories.
Week 1: Choosing a topic and purpose
Week 2: Writing an effective script and creating a storyboard
Week 3: Recording audio narration
Week 4: Using technology to build a digital story
Week 5: Revising, publishing and sharing the final digital story for use in the classroom
The course is primarily intended for:
- K-12 teachers at all levels, including elementary, middle, and high school teachers;
- Continuing education or in-service facilitators supporting teachers and faculty;
- Other educators and instructors, from community college through graduate school;
- Educators interested in educational technology and/or online instruction; and
- Anyone with an interest in digital storytelling.
September 8, 2014 - October 12, 2014
For further information, click here.