Solar Energy is a free online course conducted by the Delft University of Technology. This course helps to discover the power of solar energy and learn how to design a complete photovoltaic system.
About the course
In this course, you shall learn to design a complete photovoltaic system. This course introduces the technology that converts solar energy into electricity, heat and solar fuels with a main focus on electricity generation. You shall gain a greater understanding of the principles of the photovoltaic conversion- the conversion of light into electricity. This course explores the advantages, limitations and challenges of different solar cell technologies, such as crystalline silicon solar cell technology, thin film solar cell technologies and the latest novel solar cell concepts as studied on lab-scale. The course shall discuss the specifications of solar modules and demonstrate how to design a complete solar system for any particular application.
What you'll learn
- The various methods of converting solar energy into electricity, heat and solar fuels
- The physical working principles of photovoltaic conversion in solar cells
- How to recognize and describe the various solar cell technologies, their current status and future technological challenges
- How to analyze the performance of solar cells and modules
- How to design a complete photovoltaic system for any particular application on paper
- Week 1: Introduction to Solar Energy
- Week 2: Working Principle of a Semiconductor based Solar Cell
- Week 3: Solar Cell Operation, Performance and Design Rules
- Week 4: PV technology Based on Crystalline Silicon Wafers
- Week 5: Thin-Film PV technologies
- Week 6: Third Generation PV and Other Ways to Utilize Solar Energy
- Week 7: PV Systems-Components and Concepts
- Week 8: PV Systems- Application and Design
- September 1, 2015
- 8 weeks
For further information and to register, click here.