UPSC aspirants in Maharashtra will be awarded with government scholarships worth Rs 10,000. This is a resolution passed by the Maharashtra government to encourage youth to join the civil services.
To avail the benefits of this scholarship, candidates should have cleared the UPSC preliminary examination within the period of last 3 years. This resolution was passed by the Maharashtra government on April 16, 2016.
The government will spend Rs 23.46 crore for this initiative, which includes cost of training at reputed institutes in Delhi.
Details of the scholarship:
- The scholarship will given to candidates appearing for the UPSC Main exams and it will continue till the interview process.
- Along with the scholarship, candidates will also be given free coaching in New Delhi.
[Also read: Civil Services Coaching Centres]
Benefits of the scholarship:
- Candidates will get a monthly stipend on Rs 10,000
- Candidates will be trained in New Delhi to appear for the main examination.
- Candidates residing in Maharashtra with an annual income of less than 1 lakh per annum are eligible for the scholarship.
- Candidates will have to return the scholarship amount if they fail to attend the UPSC exam.
"We are not just looking at financial assistance but also intending to tie up with reputed private educational institutions to ensure that the scholars we choose can gain entry into these places easily. These institutions will help train our scholars for all the three examinations," said a state government official.
This scholarship, the State government said, would be released in three phases. "One would be before the preliminary exam, the other before the main exam and the third before the final interview. If a student fails in any of these, the scholarship will be discontinued and will be resumed only the following year, before the exam," said a State government official.