The University of Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi has introduced Swami Vivekananda Scholarship for Single Girl Child for research in Social Sciences (2014-15) during Xll Plan.
Promotion of women education is one of the main objectives of our education policy, and therefore new initiatives have become necessary to give girl child equality and dignity in the society.
The government of India is giving special benefits for families having single girl child. The girl students who are admitted in Ph. D. program in Social Sciences in Universities / colleges / institutes and happen to be the only girl child in the family may apply for a scholarship under the aforesaid scheme.
The amount of Scholarship is:
- Rs.8,000/- per month for first two years.
- Rs.10,000/- per month for third and fourth year (Extendable for the fifth year in exceptional circumstances).
Who can apply:
- Any single girl child of her parents.
- Only girl child in the family without having any brother or the girl student who is twin daughters / fraternal daughter may also apply for a scholarship under the aforesaid scheme.
- In a family if one son and one daughter are available then girl child will not be considered for a scholarship under the scheme.
- The scheme is applicable to such a single girl child who has taken admission in regular, full -time Ph.D programme in Social Sciences in any recognised University / institute. Admission to Ph.D Course in Distance education mode is not covered under the scheme.
Girl students up to the age of 40 years for general and 45 years for the reserved category SC/ST/OBC and Physical handicapped at the time of admission in Ph.D courses are eligible.
How to apply:
Candidates have to apply online.
Last date for the submission of the application form is November 31, 2014.