You may have a reason where you may not be able to make to the GRE test center or you might have decided to take a different career path altogether. Here are the steps to cancel the GRE test.
For computer based test:
To cancel online:
1) Sign into your GRE account through GRE home page.
2) Click on GRE general test.
3) Click on "Reschedule or Cancel an Exam" link.
4) Enter "Confirmation/Tracking Number" and the first four letters of your last name in the respective fields and click "Next."
5) Confirm cancellation of the test.
Alternately, you can call 1-443-751-4820,1-800-GRE-CALL (1-800-473-2255) or contact the respective Regional Registration Center.
For paper based test:
Call or write to the GRE® Program with your name, date of birth, address, registration number, test date, preferred test center and new test date.
PO Box 6000, Princeton, NJ 08541-6000
Your request that is mailed must be received by them no later than 3 wholes days before the actual test date.
The cancellation must be done no later than 3 whole days before the actual test date.
For instance, if the test is on Tuesday, the cancellation must be done no later than Saturday.
You will be refunded with an amount equivalent to half the test fee.