An appeal made to conduct Punjab Pre-Medical Entrance Test (PMET-2015) retest was dismissed by the Punjab and Haryana High Court. The plea had been filed by around 15 students who had appeared for the exam in May. The exam was organised by Baba Farid University of Health Sciences (BFUHS), Faridkot.
There are a total of 920 MBBS and 1,070 BDS seats across Punjab out of which 700 students were taken admission by BFUHS by the time the admission process was stayed by the HC on September 10 and the court has dismissed the appeal due to time constraint.
It observed that a third party audit would have been the best decision, however, in view of the deadline set by the Supreme Court, the appeal shall be dismissed.
Dr. Arvind Goyal, who heads a coaching institute for medical entrances in Chandigarh said,"It has come as a big relief to all the PMET aspirants who were allotted seats in first (round of) counselling but couldn't pay the fee etc. due to the stay order by HC. Another category of worried students were those who had surrendered the seats of AIPMT and taken admission in Punjab before the stay order. Moreover, keeping the deadline for September 30 in mind as last date for MBBS admissions given by SC, many parents of selected students were having sleepless nights as to what will be the outcome of this plea. All worries have been laid to rest now."
Following are the major events concerning PMET 2015:
- May 17: Punjab Pre-Medical Entrance Test (PMET) 2015 conducted at Lovely Professional University, Phagwara (only one centre)
- May 28: Students appeal to the High Court for a retest
- September 1: The High Court doesn't sanction the retest, but asks Baba Farid University of Health Sciences to award 12 marks to the 15,000 candidates who appeared for the exam and and additional four marks in two categories of candidates, and issue a revised merit list on this basis
- September 10: High Court issues stay order for the admission process of of MBBS and BDS seats in Punjab
- September 21: The High Court division bench dismissed appeal for PMET retest
- September 30: Last date for completing admission process, as fixed by Supreme Court