The Kendriya Vidyalaya-Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Chennai is the best government school in India, according to a survey conducted in government schools located in 12 cities across the country.
The survey was conducted in Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Lucknow, Mumbai, Kanpur, Bhopal, Kolkata and Kochi.
The EduactionWorld, an education consultancy in Delhi, around 203 field researchers of C-Fore, had conducted the survey between May 2014 and July 2014, and the results were declared in September 2014. They took interview of the students, parents, teachers, principals, educationists and academics to prepare the rank list.
The survey was conducted under 14 parameters like teacher welfare and development, competence of faculty, sports education, special needs education, co-curricular education, infrastructure provision, academic reputation, value for money, individual attention to students, leadership/management quality, parental involvement, internationalism, community service, and life skills education and conflict management.
Top 10 government schools are:
- KV-Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, NMR, JNU Campus, Delhi
- Rajikiya Pratibha Vikas Vidyalaya, Dwarka, Delhi
- Jadavpur Vidyapith, Kolkata
- Kendriya Vidyalaya- IIT Kanpur and Government Vocational Higher Secondary School for Girls, Nadakkavu, Kozhikode
- Rajikiya Pratibha Vikas Vidyalaya, Shalimar Bagh
- Kendriya Vidyalaya- IIT Bombay, Powai
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Kochi
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Hyderabad
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Bangalore
According to the HRD Ministry, more than two lakh government schools are functioning across the country by state, central and local governments. Around 138 million (60% ) of the children study in government schools and 92 million children study in private schools.