For many years now, the Karnataka Education Authority has been proposing to make the entire process of document verification online. However, the document verification process for KCET seems to be a distant dream.
Students who hoped to get a relief from having to travel long distances to get their documents verified will have to wait longer as the system for online document verification by the KEA is not yet in place.
The KEA officials blame the delay on the education department; according to KEA, all the necessary measures were in place for the online verification process while the delay was the result of neglect by the education department.
During the document verification process for KCET, 2 types of documents need to be verified - one from the revenue department such as the caste and income certificate and the other from the education department which include the study certificate, rural certificate and Kannada medium certificate.
The revenue department seems to have cleared the decks for online verification by making all its document online. The revenue department has in fact issued student identification numbers (UIDs), which they can use for the online verification process.
However, the education department's neglect and delay has made it impossible for the KEA to launch the document verification programme online.
Administrative officer at KEA, SN Gandaraiah said, "It would be confusing if one part of the verification process were done online and the rest offline. It would make sense only if both sets of documents, falling under two departments could be verified online or offline."
What is the documentation process for KCET 2017?
- The KEA has set-up 13 document verification centres across the state to ease the admission process
- The KCET examination witnesses a participation of more than 1 lakh students from Class 12 students from CBSE, ICSE and PUC II
- Once the online document verification system is in place, students will only need a UID for the process
- They will not have to undergo the rigmarole to having to scan their documents and subsequently uploading them on the KEA website
How will the online verification process work?
- The online verification will be done by the student logging on to the KEA's website and entering his or her UID provided by the revenue department
- By mapping the UID provided along with the documents of the student, the server will verify the authenticity or the lack of documents submitted by the student
However, the chances of the online documentation going live in 2017 appear to be slim.
KEA to provide Pamphlet with FAQs on NEET for rural students:
Since, the KCET is no longer the entrance exam for medical admissions in the state, the KEA is set to provide a pamphlet for the benefit of rural students giving them necessary information regarding the NEET examination.
From 2017, NEET will be the only gateway for admissions into medical institutions.
The pamphlets are being issued by the KEA for the benefit of rural students who might be confused about the application process to medical colleges.
The pamphlets will contain information explaining the modalities of NEET, and its application process.
It will also help students with the examination pattern and will contain practice questions. The KEA says, the pamphlets for NEET will be ready in a month.