This year, there are changes in the Common Admission Test (CAT) entrance exam pattern.
Like last year, IIM Indore will conduct the CAT exam and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) will take the responsibility in conducting the CAT test administration for IIMs.
From this year on, duration of the CAT exam has been increased, the number of questions also has been increased and the number of days which exam will be conducted has decreased.
According to some experts, the candidates need to adapt to the changes made in the exam pattern and have to change their style of preparation and of answering the questions. CAT 2014 registration will begin from August 6.
How can you accept or adapt the new changes in CAT exam?
- According to the revised pattern, the number of the questions for each section has been increased from 30 to 50 questions and the duration of the exam has been increased from 140 minutes to 170 minutes (2 hours 50 minutes).
- Candidates have to answer 100 question in 170 minutes. Thus, the time per question has been decreased.
- According to experts, candidates will get 1.7 minutes per question to answer, while earlier it was 2.3 minutes per question. Candidates have to encorporate practise sessions into their preparation, so they can answer the questions quickly.
- With the time per question being reduced, the candidates have to the choose to begin the test with the easier section. Answering lengthly question will waste their time and it may not leave them with enough time to answer questions which they know well.
- Candidates are allowed to switch between sections at any point of time during the examination. Thus candidates have to allocate less or more time on particular section, as per the their choice.
- There will be no tutorials before the start of the examination. Candidates are advised to practice tutorials in CAT website before appearing for the examination.
- Candidates are advised to increase their accuracy and speed of answering the questions.
- Some experts have advised that, candidates need not be scared of increase in the number of questions. The duration of examination has also increased correspondingly, and everyone will get time to answer the questions. The only thing they should keep in mind is that time should be allocated for each section wisely.
- Candidates have to practice more and more mock test papers.