Mr. Devendra Singh who has an experience of more than thirty years in the field of banking operations, is also associated with TimesPro's Banking Management programme (PGDBM). He has also involved in activities such as Modern Banker Programme (MBP) and provides corporate trainings to renowned names like Canara Bank, Bank of Baroda and HDFC Realty.
In an exclusive interview with Careerindia Mr. Devendra Singh has shared about TimesPro's Banking Management programme (PGDBM) and the importance of corporate training to bag job in the banking sector.
1. What is TimesPro PGDBM programme all about?
TimesPro launched its PGDBM course for graduates who aspire to kick start their career in banking and financial industry. The 6 month course provides the students thorough knowledge and facilitates them to enhance their skills and employability.
TimesPro believes in preparing its students with a career in banking with ease. The program is tailored to churn out future leaders for the banking sector. With a versatile approach, TimesPro adopts different modes of training:
- Class room Sessions - ILT Module
- E-learning / Simulations
- Role Play / Case Study
- Soft Skills: Communications, Customer Service, Sales & Relationship Management
- ET Finpro Projects
- Online Banking Software (Financial) Training
- The training modules are crafted for the overall development of the candidates and as per industry requirements.
- The trainers at TimesPro are a team of Infosys Certified Financial Trainers, experienced in the Banking & Finance sector, with expertise in soft skill training.
- We at TimesPro, aim to create a professional environment for fresh graduates. On completion of the PGDBM course, the candidates will be job ready from the very first day in an organization.
2. How does TimesPro PGDBM programme prepare candidates to pursue jobs in the banking sector?
With reference to the previous response, we do not believe in providing our candidates with instructions, but learner based training. We train them using our various training modules like E-learning simulations and soft skills through role play activities.
We often create demo banks to give our candidates a feel of the real life experiences of working in a bank. We indulge them in various training activities related to cash operation or clearing, using dummy cheques and cash.
We aim to provide our students the best; therefore we also have well equipped classrooms with world class infrastructure. We use active white boards for our teaching sessions and have tech rooms with laptops for each student.
3. Please provide the list of banks TimesPro is associated with?
TimesPro is associated with renowned banks like HDFC Bank, Indusind Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Citi Bank & Yes Bank.
4. What are the basic criteria that help one to bag prime jobs in the banking sector?
Banks prefer candidates who not only have an apt knowledge of banking, but are also smart with a pleasing personality and communication skills. Candidates with positive attitude, passion and confidence are always preferred. Combining soft skills with our banking courses help candidates achieve these skills.
Since the new age banking is highly dependent on technology and customer relations, the bank executives are expected to know their customers well, understand the various issues faced by them and provide them with apt solutions. Therefore, comprehension of customer queries and building a rapport with them also add to the basic requirements of a banking job.
5. Apart from Financial Mathematics and Wealth Management what are other skills one needs to possess in order to land in the banking sector?
In addition to financial mathematics and wealth management, NISM certification especially in Mutual Funds and Depository modules are a basic requirement in the industry. Completion of these certified courses will help the candidate to know the basics of mutual funds, their role and structure, basics of Indian securities market and the depository system. Knowledge of banking software is also effective in increasing employability.
6. Does internet and mobile banking service replace the manual banking process in the coming years?
Digital banking is the future of banking. The three-fold increase in the popularity of mobile banking and internet banking have provided the banks with an opportunity to deliver customized services and Products to its existing as well as potential customers, at relatively low cost. This digital practice is convenient for the customers as well as cost effective and economical for the banks.
These technical upgrades have subsided the traditional banking and manual processes, thereby saving time and increasing the popularity of the sector.
7. Is formal education lagging behind to prepare students to pursue jobs in the banking sector?
Our contemporary education system, only concentrates on theoretical knowledge and less on practical knowhow. The system lacks opportunities for skill development which in turn affects the overall personality of the student.
In our country, approximately 5 million students graduate every year, including 1.5 million engineering graduates. However, most of them are unemployed due to lack of skills & attributes required for jobs in banking sector.
With the cut throat competition and the emerging digital era, it is essential that the education system caters to the overall development of the student, concentrating on skill development and practical knowledge.
8. Pursuing career in banking can open up multiple avenues? Elaborate on this?
Banking sector is the heart of a country's economy and is certainly a door opener to development and growth. The sector opens up with aim of rural expansions and financial inclusions as financial sector jobs are gaining popularity. Banks come up with large number of vacancies in an effort to enhance productivity of their existing operations and scale up in the future.
9. Role of corporate trainings and how far is essential to undergo training despite holding a PG degree in the concerned subject?
Despite of holding a PG degree for a concerned subject, corporate trainings have become extremely important for an employee in an organization. Corporate training improve communication skills that make team work effective and allow employees to achieve their potential.