The ever-increasing requirement by industry, commerce, retail and domestic markets for new products of all varieties has resulted in a thriving industry for businesses in the area of product design.
Dublin Institute of Technology has developed this programme in response to market demand to produce graduates with the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical skills to work in today's demanding design fields.
The role of the product designer is to oversee the complete development cycle of a product in industry. Graduates will be capable of applying engineering principles in order to evolve a product's development cycle from initial concepts to manufacturing stage.
During the course of the programme students will study how the creative aspect of design as developed in Creative Design Fundamentals and various Design Innovation Studios modules integrate with the manufacturing potential of their design supported by modules such as Manufacture and Materials through to analysis of their design as taught in Design Analysis.
The technologies involved in bringing a concept to market will be outlined and planned in modules such as Economics, Marketing and Legal Aspects of Product Design.
Students will be supported by modules such as New Product Introduction and Business Process Management when they enter both National and International competitions.
Their final year project will allow them to bring all these various areas together in order to propose, conceptualize, design and develop their ideas to a professional and industrial standard.
- Product Design offers a career which can be utilized in a broad array of industries.
- Every product moves through a development cycle, which some professions will have contact with as the design develops but the product designer oversees the complete development cycle.
- From the electronic industry to the automotive, medical and aero industries, the product designer contributes his skill and expertise in helping to develop and drive these areas.
- Those who qualify with a BSc (Product Design) Degree are eligible for full membership of the Institution of Engineering Designers.
- Students who have reached the appropriate honours standard may have access to a range of Masters Degrees in DIT and elsewhere in Higher Education.
Study abroad options
- An International exchange programme exists with Hong Kong Polytechnic University, San Francisco State University in the USA and Canberra University in Australia.
- Along with these, there are many exchange opportunities with Universities throughout the European Union through the ERASMUS program.
- Qualification awarded: BSc (PRODUCT DESIGN) Level 8 / BSc
- Duration of programme: 4 years
- Type of programme: Honours Degree
- Number of places: 32 approx.
- Location: DIT Aungier Street, DIT Bolton Street, DIT Grangegorman
For further information, click here.