Also available in: தமிழ்

DU informs colleges about UGC orders and defer admission process

DU colleges defer admission process

New Delhi, June 24: Delhi University has issued a letter to all its colleges informing them about the two orders from the UGC asking it to conduct the admissions under three-year programme and not the four-year undergraduate programme.

Copies of the June 21 and June 22 order of the University Grants Commission was also forwarded along with the letter, which was issued in Hindi. Registrar Alka Sharma said she had been asked to forward the copies of these orders by the UGC to all colleges.

Sharma described the orders to be self-explanatory. The copy of Registrar's letter was also forwarded to UGC Director Vikram Sahai.

In its two orders, UGC had asked DU and all 64 colleges under it to conduct admission under the three-year under-graduate programme and not under the FYUP implemented by the university last year.

UGC has warned both DU as well as the colleges of "consequences" if they fail to implement its direction by this forenoon.

The row over the controversial four-year undergraduate programme took a new turn as colleges affiliated to Delhi University has deferred the admission to the academic session 2014-15.

After an emergency meeting of the Principals Association of the Delhi University, its president S K Garg announced that they decided to defer the admission process, that was to begin tomorrow, until clear-cut guidelines are issued by the competent authority on the issue.

The decision came hours after the expiry of a deadline set by University Grants Commission to the Delhi University to send its report of compliance of its order that admissions will take place only under the three-year undergraduate programme and not the four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP).

Garg said there was a conflict between the guidelines Garg said there was a conflict between the guidelines issued by the university and those issued by the UGC. "As of now, we do not have any clarity. Due to this conflict, it is not possible for us to conduct admission process.

"Thus the Principals' Association has resolved that unless unambiguous guidelines are issued, the admission process will be deferred. 36 principals were present, the remaining college heads will be informed about the decision," he said.

According to Garg, the decision has been taken in the interest of the students, parents and colleges.


Please Wait while comments are loading...

Thousands of Careerindia readers receive our evening newsletter.
Have you subscribed?