College of Engineering, Pune presents, "Visveshvarayya Memorial Debate Competition 2014".
The College of Engineering, Pune is one of the most prestigious colleges in the country today, and over the course of its sequi-century exsistence, hundreds of India's most prominent industrialists,scientists,researchers and professionals are proud to acknowledge CoEP as their alma mater.
Bharat Ratna Sir Mokshagundam Viswesvarayya,is an alumnus of the 1882 batch of Civil Engineers,and is held in high regard as one of the pre-eminent engineers in India. Responsible for modernizing the infrastructure of the Deccan Plateau by engineering canals, dams,railways,highways and ports; he was knighted by King George V for his services to the crown. He was confferred the Bharat Ratna in 1955.
It is in his Memory that the CoEP Debate Club organises the Visveshvarayya Memorial Debate Competition. One of the Pune's elite debate contests, skilled debators vie for the coveted trophy.
The English Debate has introduced a new format called "JAM" (Just-a-Minute) along with the conventional debating competition.
- The team of two, will have a speaker one for and one against the motion.
- The time allotted will be 3+1 minutes.
- This is for the first round, which will be the elimination round .
- The team will be docked for speaking less than 3minutes and more than 4 minutes
Topics for debate:
- Is India ready to come out of the closet?
- India-exporting the best, keeping the rest?
- Prime-time news shows: unbiased reporting or bigoted pontification?
The competition will be held on 1st and 2nd February, 2014.
For further details and to apply click here