Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is meant for those who wish to study at a higher education institution, students and workers applying for visa. Primarily, it is test that measures your ability to communicate in English language. It must be taken when you have decided to study in an English speaking country.
TOEFL scores are accepted by whom?
TOEFL is accepted at over 8,500 colleges, other institutions and agencies in more than 130 countries. Many institutions around the world require TOEFL as a mandatory test to be taken for admissions. TOEFL scores can be used to satisfy the visa requirements for Australia and UK.
Where can TOEFL iBT (it is its original format given in the TOEFL home page) be taken?
TOEFL offers more than 50 test dates per year in 4,500 test centers in 165 countries.
Can this test be taken more than once?
Yes. You can retake the test as many times as you wish to, but you cannot take it more than once in a period of 12 days.
How can one prepare for TOEFL?
There are a lot of paid and free materials to prepare, offered by ETS. Also they offer video wherein you can learn about the tools from ETS which can aid you with your preparation for the test.
How much does the test cost?
The cost of TOEFL can range from US$160 to US$250 and varies from one country to another.
What are the things required on the test day?
* Registration number- This is a unique number that is generated when you register for the test.
* Valid Id- It depends on your country's requirement. In most countries including India, passport will be considered as primary Id.
How to get the registration number?
* Log in to your account.
* Enter your username and password.
* Click on "View Order(s)" in your home page , from this screen you can print and/or email your Registration Confirmation.
What are the rules pertaining the Id?
You must provide with a valid Id on the day of test at the test center. Failing to do so, you will not be allowed to enter the exam hall.
The Id presented must be:
* Original, photocopies will not be accepted.
* Valid Id, which has not expired.
* Must have the test taker's full name exactly matching with the name given while registering.
* Must include a recent photograph matching the test taker.
* Must include the test taker's signature.
What happens if there is an issue with the primary Id presented?
You are advised to carry supplementary Ids like DL, Voter Id, Pan card etc. which has your photograph, signature and your complete name.
What happens if there is a mismatch in the name registered and the name in the Id?
You will not be allowed to take the test and there your test fee will not be refunded.
What happens if the Id provided is questionable?
* You will not be able to gain entry to give the test and no refunds will be made.
* In case, you have managed to gain entry and there is still some doubts regarding the Id then your scores can be held or cancelled by ETS.
Can TOEFL be cancelled?
Yes, the test can be cancelled four days prior to the actual test date. Failing which the amount paid will be fortified and you will not be able to cancel. You will be refunded half the amount which you had paid for the test.
Can TOEFL be rescheduled?
Yes, the test can be rescheduled four days prior to the actual test date. Failing which the amount paid will be fortified and you will not be able to reschedule. US$60 must be paid for rescheduling.