The National Centre for Biological Sciences is a centre of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai invites applications from candidates for admissions 2014. The Department of Biological Sciences (DBS) is located at TIFR in Mumbai.
Both units run vibrant graduate programmes and seek excellent students who have completed their primary degrees in basic sciences, engineering or medicine. Graduate students are recruited into the programmes after a written test conducted at several centers nationally, followed by interviews held in Mumbai (for DBS) or submission of a full application and interviews for short-listed applicants at Bangalore (for NCBS).
- PhD programme : Masters in Basic Science or Bachelors in Applied Science. These include M.Sc. (Ag), B.Tech, B.E., B.V.Sc. B.Pharma (4 yrs course), MBBS., BDS. M. Pharma.
- Students with training in Physics or Chemistry are encouraged to apply to the programmes.
- Integrated Ph.D/M.Sc. by Research Programme : Bachelors in any Basic Science.
- M.Sc. Wildlife Biology & Conservation: Indian nationals who have a Bachelors degree in any discipline (with a minimum of 50% in core subjects), less than 35 years of age as on July 1, 2014 and a strong interest in wildlife research and conservation. Graduate nationals of South and Southeast Asian countries, with similar qualifications, are also eligible to apply.
- Students who expect to complete their degrees by July 2014 are eligible to apply.
The TIFR Nationwide Entrance Examination (GS-2014) for Biology is also called the Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS).
The scores will be accepted by the following centres:
- Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad
- National Brain Research Centre, Manesar
- National Centre for Cell Science, Pune
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Bhopal
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Mohali
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Thiruvananthapuram
- Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Bengaluru
- Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, Hyderabad
- National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bengaluru
- Department of Biological Sciences, TIFR, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Pune
- National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi
How to apply?
Students can apply online for hall tickets to participate in the tests. Please follow the appropriate link on this website for completing the application form. Please read the instructions carefully before you start filling up the online application form.
Students from remote areas who do not have access to the internet may apply manually. They may send a request for an application form (without DD) along with a self-addressed stamped (Rs. 10) envelope (size 25cm x 17 cm) superscribed "GS-2014 to the following address:
National Centre for Biological Sciences,
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research GKVK,
Bellary Road, Bangalore 560 065,
National Centre for Biological Sciences GKVK,
Bellary Road, Bangalore 560 065,
Tel: (080) 23666021
E-mail: phd @ ncbs. res. in
Web page: http://www.ncbs.res.in