Also available in: தமிழ்

70% of Indian students are taking up engineering by choice: Survey

Posted by:

November 27, 2014: Engineering is undoubtedly the most sought-after course as far as Indian students are concerned. Its broadened scope lends a flexibility allowing students to pursue the subject of their choice. In an endeavor to bring forth the ‘Engineering Outlook', - India's premier education website has done a survey to gauge the insights about the behavior and preferences among students seeking admission in engineering courses.

The survey saw the participation of more than 1000 students this year. 25% of students have opted for Computer Science & engineering followed by 23% opted for Mechanical and 15% for Electronic Communications respectively.

70% of Indian students are taking up engineering

Interestingly 70% of students opted for engineering by personal choice whereas only 10% students said that engineering was foisted by their parents and 20% students think that engineering is the only UG degree that will get them an assured job.

Commenting on the findings Maneesh Upadhyaya, Business Head, said "This is a major shift from our days where students were forced to take up courses beyond their choices. For the internet generation, the information is available at their fingertips. And we are seeing that this information is allowing them to research the scope of various fields before choosing the one to pursue. The students are the decision makers now."

Deal of the day: Flat 50% on Books & Movies Hurry!

"We at Shiksha make it a constant endeavor to keep up with the student pulse as this helps us customize shiksha to offer maximum value to our target group. The underlying aim of the survey is to understand the behavior and preferences of students pursuing myriad educational fields. Since maximum numbers of students are opting for engineering courses these days, it became pertinent for us to commence our analysis with engineering stream. We will continue to bring similar surveys in future which will throw spotlight on the activities of the students," he added.

The survey encompassed variety of topics pertaining to Engineering discipline and students were asked a wide range of questions ranging from their decision to chose a college/stream and their future plans post the conclusion of their degree.

Preparation and Selection of the Campus
For prospective engineering students, quality of placements and brand name are the most ranked factors while deciding a college followed by locations and fees. Surprisingly 58% students stated that self-study is the mantra for success and did not join any coaching institute that imparts training for competitive exams.

What after Engineering Studies?
On being asked about the future plans post completion of engineering course, only 34.8% students wanted to join a job immediately after graduation. The remaining 65.2% students wanted to do a masters post their engineering. Of this
65.2%, 44% are looking to do a technology major (34.2% M.Tech and 15% MS) while 15% were looking to do an MBA immediately after their engineering graduation. With job market seeing tumultuous times, the students are looking to complete their education trying to gain an advantage over the ‘only graduate' engineers before joining the corporate race.

Most Preferred Industry to Work
Students were also asked about their preferred industry to work post the completion of their studies and 43% of students stated that government sector is the most preferred sector followed by IT and Auto mobile sector with 33% and 22% respectively. Internet,E commerce and start-ups are gaining popularity with 15% of students quoting it to be their preferred choice for industry post completion of their degree.

Methodology- Internal survey was floated with the interested in engineering database of registered in the last academic season. The survey was taken by 1004 students. is an initiative of Info Edge (India) Ltd and has been set up as a one stop solution to all educational needs and queries. Infoedge has been immensely successful in creating powerful internet businesses around well known brands such as,,, and is a site that connects education seekers with education providers.


Please Wait while comments are loading...

Thousands of Careerindia readers receive our evening newsletter.
Have you subscribed?