Also available in: தமிழ்

Know more about Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)

Posted by:

Know more about GATE 2014
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination conducted for admissions to Postgraduate programmme like M.E, M.Tech, Ph.D in Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and IISc Bangalore.

Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur to conduct Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) for the year 2014.

GATE exam for the year 2014 to be conducted both in online and offline modes. The GATE score of a candidate reflects the relative performance level of a candidate.

About GATE:
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) jointly administer the conduct of GATE.

The operations related to GATE in each of the 8 zones is managed by a zonal GATE Office at the IITs or IISc. The Organizing Institute (OI) is responsible for the end-to-end process and coordination amongst the administering Institutes.

A valid GATE score is essential for obtaining financial assistance during Master's programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture, and Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Science in Institutes supported by the MHRD or other Government agencies.

As per the directives of the MHRD, the following procedure is to be adopted for admission to the post-graduate programs (Master's and Doctoral) with MHRD scholarship/assistantship.

Depending upon the norms adopted by a specific institute or department of the Institute, a candidate may be admitted directly into a course based on his/her performance in GATE only or based on his/her performance in the GATE and an admission test / interview conducted by the department to which he/she has applied and/or the candidate's academic record.

If the candidate is to be selected through test/interview for post-graduate programs, the minimum of 70% weightage will be given to the performance in the GATE and the remaining 30% weightage will be given to the candidate's performance in test/interview and/or academic record, as per MHRD guidelines.

The admitting institutes could however prescribe a minimum passing percentage of marks in the test/interview. Some colleges/institutes specify GATE qualification as the mandatory requirement even for admission without MHRD scholarship/assistantship.

To avail the financial assistance (scholarship), the candidate must first secure admission to a program in these Institutes, by a procedure that could vary from institute to institute.

Jobs for GATE:
Several public sector institutions have, in the past, used GATE scores for screening for providing a salaried employment.

A select few such organizations are Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, Indian Oil Corporation Limited, National Thermal Power Corporation, Power Grid India, etc.

Please Wait while comments are loading...

Thousands of Careerindia readers receive our evening newsletter.
Have you subscribed?