There was opposition among students to the proposal, and even colleges said that there would have to be enough time to warn students about the change before making it.
The in charge director of technical education, R R Varsani, said that the proposal had been rejected as the new system ought to have been announced at the beginning of the academic year
Around 55,000 engineering degree seats in Gujarat. Of these, 11,000 are to be filled by direct entry into the third semester of students who have finished their engineering diploma. In addition, there are 8,500 seats available for diploma passouts. These seats had remained vacant from first semester onwards in the degree courses.
The admissions to the Second Year (Third Semester) of the Bachelor of Engineering Courses on all the supernumerary seats shall be given on the basis of merit list prepared by the Admission Committee.
Around 20% seats of the sanctioned seats of the previous academic year of each Bachelor of Engineering Course, in the Government Colleges or Institutions & the aided Colleges or Institutions and the Unaided Colleges or Institutions of the State.
Eligibility for admission:
- A candidate shall have passed the qualifying examination from the Technical Examination Board(TEB) or a University or institution situated in Gujarat State, in the immediate previous academic year with minimum aggregate marks.
- Provided that a candidate who possesses a degree in Bachelor of Science (B. Sc.) with Mathematics as one of the subjects in HSC, shall also be eligible for admission for the courses specified.
Distribution of Seats:
- The available seats shall be distributed on the pro-rata basis among the respective boards/universities on the basis of number of eligible candidates of such boards/universities who have applied for admission and obtained minimum aggregates marks in qualifying examination conducted by Technical Examination Board (TEB), Gujarat State or by any professional educational college or institute situated in the State of Gujarat.
Preparation of Merit list:
Separate course wise and Board/University wise merit lists of the eligible candidates who have applied for admission in the prescribed form and within the prescribed time limit shall be prepared in the following manner, namely:
- On the basis of theory marks obtained in the best of ten subjects by the candidates who have passed the diploma under MPEC system
- On the basis of theory marks obtained in the subject of last two semesters by the candidates who have passed the diploma course under Non-MPEC/semester system or the STPI system of the last two semesters.
Application for admission:
- The application form for admission can be obtained from the centers as may be notified by the Admission Committee, on payment of a sum as may be determined by the Admission Committee, from time to time or can be downloaded from the official website of Admission Committee and the candidate shall have to pay the requisite registration fee at the time of submission of downloaded application form.
- The merit list shall be displayed, on the notice board of the office of the Admission Committee, its official web-site and by such other means, as the Committee may consider convenient.
- The Admission Committee shall publish the admission programme, by advertisement in the prominent newspapers widely circulated in the State, and by such other means, as the committee may consider convenient. The candidates shall also be informed separately and individually of their merit rank and the date of counseling.