President Pranab Mukherjee has laid the foundation stone of the Sikkim University campus on 16th April, 2013 (Tuesday).
Speaking on the occasion, Mukherjee said Sikkim University has the potential to emerge as a hub of knowledge, research and innovation for countries of South East Asia as well as rest of India.
"I am happy that the university is trying to link the local with the universal", he added.
He recollected the great universities of ancient India which attracted students and teachers from across the world and said India can resume its ancient glory if we give sufficient emphasis to education.
Mukherjee called upon the authorities, students and faculty of Sikkim University to play a leading role in taking the university into the ranks of the best in the world.
Pointing out that there is no Indian University in the top 200 universities of the world and that India lags behind China and the US in the filing of patent applications, he said the stakes are very high and there is need for collective efforts to ensure that Indian universities emerge as top class institutions.
Know About Sikkim University:
Sikkim University is established under an Act of Parliament of India. It came into existence on 2 July 2007. The establishment of a Central University in Sikkim fulfills a long cherished aspiration of the people of Sikkim to have an institution of higher education within their state.
Mission: The University seeks to achieve academic excellence without being exclusive in character. The University believes in transparency, accountability, targeted performance and zero red-tapeism.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in each branch of learning as it may deem fit.
- To make provisions for integrated courses in humanities, natural and physical sciences, social sciences, forestry and other allied disciplines in the educational programmes of the University.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning process, inter-disciplinary studies and research.
- To educate and train manpower for the development of the state of Sikkim and the Eastern Himalayan regions.
- To pay special attention to the improvement of the social and economic conditions and welfare of the people of the region, their intellectual, academic and cultural development.