In December 12, a total of 28824 candidates had applied for NET Dec 2012. Out of these, just 377 managed to secure the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in the exam while 3440 candidates succeeded in attaining eligibility for lectureship.
UGC had followed the new norms for preparing results under which a merit list of top 15% of the total candidates making a place in the result was prepared and only they have been declared successful while others have been declared unsuccessful even if they had managed to secure the minimum marks specified for each of the three papers.
Among merit of the main 10 subjects for JRFs, just Sociology has registered a rise while the merit of all others has fallen as compared to the June-2012 NET. The cut-off for general category JRF of Sociology was 72.41 in the June-2012 NET and has risen to 73.71 for the December 2012 NET. The OBC merit however for the subject has dipped from 71.26 to 70.29. The SC cut-off has risen from 65.52 to 65.71.
In NET, the maximum candidates chose history as the subject of their choice to appear in the exam.
History's cut-off for JRF has witnessed a dip this time around. The cut-off for general category candidate of the subject was 69.14 last time around but has dipped to 68 in the December 2012 NET. OBC cut-off too has come down from 67.43 to 65.14 for JRFs of History while SC cut-off too has fallen from 62.86 to 60.57.
The fall in cut-off has been much below the June-2012 NET when 580 had managed to secure the fellowships in the exam while 4347 candidates had succeeded in attaining eligibility for lectureship. The fall in the number of candidates this time is owing to the new norms for preparing results.
The cut-offs (for Dec 12 test) of major subjects for JRF under various category includes:
- For Economics: 71.43 (Gen), 66.86 (OBC), 61.71 (SC) and 66.29 (Physically handicapped).
- For Political Science: the cut-off for JRF is 66.29 (Gen), 63.43 (OBC), 56.67 (SC) and 60.00 (PH).
- For Philosophy: the cut-off is 72.57 (Gen), 70.29 (OBC), 65.14 (SC) and 64.57 (PH).
- For Psychology: it is 69.14 (Gen), 65.71 (OBC), 63.43 (SC), 62.29 (PH).
- For Sociology: the cut-off is 73.71 (Gen), 70.29 (OBC), 65.71 (SC) and 65.14 (PH).
- For History: it is 68.00 (Gen), 65.14 (OBC), 60.57 (SC) and 61.71 (PH).
- For Education: it is 67.43 (Gen), 64.00 (OBC), 58.29 (SC) and 58.29 (PH).
- For Hindi: it is 73.14 (Gen), 69.14 (OBC), 64.57 (SC) and 65.14 (PH).
- For Geography it is 69.14 (Gen), 66.13 (OBC), 62.29 (SC) and 62.86 (PH).
Apart from it, the UGC has also announced the cutoff for those who would be eligible for lectureship:
- For Economics is 65.14 (Gen), 60.00 (OBC), 53.71 (SC) and 54.29 (PH).
- For Political Science: the cut-off is 60.57 (Gen), 55.43 (OBC), 50.29 (SC) and 52.00 (PH).
- For Philosophy: the cut-off is 65.14 (Gen), 59.43 (OBC), 57.14 (SC) and 57.14 (PH).
- For Psychology: it is 64.00 (Gen), 58.86 (OBC), 53.14 (SC), 53.14 (PH).
- For Sociology: the cut-off is 65.71 (Gen), 60.00 (OBC), 55.43 (SC) and 54.29 (PH).
- For History: it is 61.71 (Gen), 57.14 (OBC), 52.00 (SC) and 53.71 (PH).
- For Education: it is 60.00 (Gen), 54.86 (OBC), 50.86 (SC) and 51.43 (PH).
- For Hindi: it is 64.57 (Gen), 58.86 (OBC), 54.86 (SC) and 54.86 (PH).
- For Geography: it is 61.71 (Gen), 56.57 (OBC), 53.14 (SC) and 52.57 (PH).