Dr. M. R. Srinivasan, Former Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission, Govt. of India will be the Chief Guest and deliver Convocation address.
Sri C. T. Ravi, Honorable Minister for Higher Education, Govt. of Karnataka and Pro-Chancellor of VTU will grace the occasion.
Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science (D. Sc.) will be conferred on Sri Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha).
During 12th Annual Convocation, VTU is conferring B. E. degree to 48460 students, B. Arch degree to 143 students, MBA degree to 4113 students, MCA degree to 1870 students, M. Tech degree to 2932 students, M. Arch. degree to 08 students. This year University is awarding Ph. D. degrees to 101 students and M. Sc (Engg.) degrees to 14 students.
Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belgaum was established on 1st April 1998, as per the VTU Act 1994 of the Government of Karnataka. The University has jurisdiction over the entire state of Karnataka. This University bears the distinguished name of Bharat Ratna Sir M. Visvesvaraya, who was an engineer par excellence and a rare visionary. The VTU has its Headquarters located at Belgaum and it has four Regional Offices established at Bangalore, Mysore, Gulbarga and Belgaum.
VTU is one of the prestigious and largest technological Universities in the country having affiliation of 196 Engineering colleges and five constituent engineering colleges at Davangere Gangavati, Huvinhadagali, Raichur and Karwar. VTU is imparting technical education to more than 3.5 lakh students under its 34 Undergraduate & 92 Postgraduate Programs. Doctoral programs in 300 departments in 130 Colleges which have been recognized as research centers.
Some of the Achievements of VTU in the recent past:
- Instituted a "Research Grants Scheme' worth of Rs. 6 Crores to harness and nurture the research talents available in its Affiliated Institutions in the State.
- VTU has started MBA, MCA & M. Tech. courses in all the VTU Regional PG Centers like Bangalore, Belgaum, Gulbarga and Mysore.
- Over 100 Faculty Development Programs are organized and co-ordinated by VTU at various affiliated/autonomous colleges of VTU with the help of VGST, Govt. of Karnataka.
- Distance Education Programme in MBA will be started from the academic year 2013-14.
- For the First time in the country Teachers Training Programme for newly recruited engineering faculty members will be started from August 2013 and will be made mandatory for all new faculty.
- Organized, with the technical support from University of Missouri, Columbia, USA, International Workshop on Green Nanotechnology during 26th to 27th November 2012 at "Jnana Sangama", Belgaum.
- University of Rutgers has instituted "VTU-VC Scholarship" to 6 VTU students. Wherein the students are given 6 months internship in the University campus. They will be paid Air travel fare, lodging nad 2200 USD per month per student will be paid.
- ICMG-An Entrepreneurship Architecture Company is selecting 4 students per year. Each student will be given Rs, One Lakh scholarship to take up innovative projects.
- Organized jointly with, Computer Society of India-Bangalore Chapter (CSI-BC) Faculty Development Programme (FDP) on "Innovative Implementable Ideas for Industry Institution Interaction" at "Jnana Sangama" Belgaum on 10th and 11th January 2013.