Candidates desiring to pursue research work in the Department may apply in the prescribed pro-forma (can be downloaded from the University website) by paying Rs. 100/- through a Challan obtainable from the University Cash Counter by 14 December 2012.
Eligible candidates (having Master's Degree in relevant subjects) will have to appear in an Entrance Test of 100 marks, to be held in this Department on 27 December 2012, comprising a written examination, followed by an interview.
Those candidates who have already passed UGC (JRF) Examinations/ NET/ SET/ SLET or equivalent examinations or passed the MPhil or equivalent examination need not appear in the written examination and can directly appear in the interview.
Details of the Entrance Test are given below:
- The Written Examination of one and a half hour duration shall comprise 5 Questions of 4 marks each, based on a relevant paragraph to assess research aptitude; 15 Multiple Choice Type Questions of 2 marks each, from the core subjects; and 25 marks for a Research Proposal. There will be no negative markings.
- Questions would be based mainly on the first three papers of the current MA/ MSc Museology syllabus, viz., Organisation & Management, Exhibition & Education, and Care & Conservation, though relevant other areas like, Basic Computer Applications, General Knowledge, Current Affairs, Analytical Abilities, etc., may also be covered.
- Candidates getting 40% and above in the written examination will qualify for interview of 25 marks. Date for the interview would be displayed in the Departmental Notice Board.
At present 5 Ph.D. students will be enrolled, if qualified, under the empanelled supervisors including faculty members and external supervisors. Reservations for SC/ ST candidates shall be applicable as per rules. Successful candidates will have to complete a course work of one-semester duration. Course content will be as follows:
- Research Methodology, quantitative methods and computer applications,
- Research/ literature Review, and
- Current developments in Museology.
Department of Museology,
University of Calcutta,
1 Reformatory Street,
Kolkata - 700027.