The companies have changed their strategy for placements from engineering institutes this year as experts predict there will be a 20% decrease in hiring freshers in the year 2013. Due to the bleak economic outlook as well as a decreased attrition rates are believed to be the main cause for having a change.
What are the changes?
The changes are mentioned as below :-
- Most Companies are only recruiting from institutes : Top institutes such as IIT's and VIT's are expected to attract most of the recruiters. Even so, the numbers of students being recruited have decreased. For instance Cognizant recruited 803 students from VIT this year. In the year 2011, according to the records they had recruited 1803 candidates.
- Lesser-Known institutes may not have placement process : The lesser-known institutes have not received the confirmation from the recruiters. Some have only 1 or 2 recruiters who will attend placements. This means that the majority of students may not be able to get placed.
- Delay in joining date : Though some companies have already conducted placements but, the joining letters have been issued for six to seven months after a student completes their courses.
- Few Companies Away From Placements : Few Manufacturing companies are expected to stay away from the Placement process.
- Testing patterns Changed : Companies have planned to have introduced a tougher tests for students that include Puzzles. The cut-offs have also been increased. Moreover, one company has included Sudoko in its tests.
- Large Salary Increase Cant Be Expected : Salaries offered at top institutes are expected to be similar to those offered in 2011. Wipro offered Rs.3 lakhs per annum for Undergraduate and Post Graduate students at VIT in 2011. This year, it has offered a package of Rs. 3.34 lakh for Undergraduate and Rs.3.6 lakh for Postgraduates.
Are you a student of 2012 session. How was your Placement Process? What were your preparation ideas? Share it out with us OR Write to us via E-Mail.