Indian universities namely, the Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati and the Savitribai Phule Pune University are included in the list of Top 20 best small universities in the world 2016.
The Times Higher Education (THE) Ranking released the list of 'Top 20 best small universities in the world 2016', on January 25, in which two Indian universities made their mark.
"Indian institutions are well represented in the Worlds Best Small Universities Ranking 2016. Alongside Caltech, they demonstrate the world-class offering available at smaller institutions, no matter their location", said hil Baty, THE rankings editor.
"Small universities can potentially offer students a more intimate environment, with more support and attention from lecturers, and more of a chance for students to spend time with the star professors, who in bigger universities may simply be too busy. The smaller university can also offer a greater sense of collegiality and community, where students are less likely to get lost in the crowd", Baty added.
The universities included in the list are as follows:
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech): US
- Ecole Normale Superieure: France
- Ecole Polytechnique: France
- Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH): South Korea
- Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon: France
- Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences: Sweden
- Oregon Health and Science University: US
- Koc University: Turkey
- University of Alaska Fairbanks: US
- Sabanc University: Turkey
- University of Neuchatel: Switzerland
- Tokyo Medical and Dental University (TMDU): Japan
- National Yang-Ming University: Taiwan
- Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati: India
- University of Tulsa: US
- Yokohama City University: Japan
- Florida Institute of Technology: US
- Savitribai Phule Pune University: India
- National University of Science and Technology (MISiS): Russia
- Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology: Japan