Has nature always fascinated you? Is Biology your favourite subject? Are you empathetic towards farmers and you want to do something to make a difference in their lives? Then agriculture might be your cup of tea. But that is not all that you need to know. You got to find the field in agriculture that you would like to get into.
Biology, Chemistry and other sciences have a scope for your goal as agriculturalist. These subjects help you to improve production processes and yields. Agriculturalists can have expertise in fields such as farming, forestry, and aquaculture.
Two of the common fields of agriculture are
- Aimal subjects such as genetics, zoology, and wildlife management
- Crop matters such as soil science, field and pasture sciences, and botany
How to qualify for becoming an agriculturalist?
- Complete courses in any relevant science such as economics, biology, and engineering to become scientific agriculturalist.
- If you like to work with animals or plants select agricultural jobs like farming or animal science.
- If you are interested in teaching or working with the public, choose jobs such as agriculture teachers in schools, extension officers, and agricultural consultants. To become an agriculturist in the teaching profession, often a person needs a teaching certificate or degree, depending on the regional and local regulations.
- To become an agriculturist who specializes in environmental protection, you should study sciences, such as chemistry, wildlife management, and pasture science. The work of environmental agriculturalists is to address the problems of agricultural run-off and groundwater contamination and rely on their education in the sciences to help them understand environmental problems.
- In order to be an agriculturist to educate landowners, farm laborers, and aquaculture workers one must possess strong people skills. Then you should take supervisory courses to learn communication skills. There are also courses such as speech course and a written communication course, such as technical writing.
Is a certificate required to become an agriculturalist ?
In such profession, experience has a greater value than educational background. Even farm workers can rise to the level of supervisory agriculturalist or agriculturalist technician.
Basics to follow to become an agriculturalist :
- Find the field that you want to specialise in agriculture
- Get some practical ideas by making field visits
- Talk to farmers and understand ground reality
- Take interest in Geography and study about the land and soil types. Focus on other subjects such as Biology and Chemistry
- Find out the challenges involved in agriculture and try to devise solutions
After all everybody gets to eat and humans cannot survive without agriculture. So get on the field and start doing your bit of satisfying deed for the mankind by becoming an agriculturalist.
Also Read: Become a Pilot and Get to the Pivot