In today's scenario, having good English language skills is a must. English is becoming the language of the world and all of us have to keep up to it. If you have been learning English for a while and yet cannot communicate with ease, you will need a bit of creativeness and commitment, but learning English now is easier than ever. If you have trouble in reading, writing, listening or speaking in English, you can improve your English skills through repetitive practice.
We would like to give you a few easy tips to overcome the problems you are experiencing and some simple ways to improve your English communication skills.
- Practice speaking English every chance that comes your way like ordering coffee, asking for directions, shopping, etc.
- Read English newspapers or online articles.
- Read books which have easy grammar and vocabulary like children's books. You can get them in a library or from a book store.
- Listen to English songs. Every language has its own music; so do not use music of your native language when you speak English.
- Make it a habit to use a dictionary as soon as you encounter an unfamiliar word, try to familiarise yourself with the phonetic symbols. Try to correct your pronunciation of words that are hard for you to pronounce.
- Watch English movies and TV shows with subtitles.
- Set certain goals, decide on how many hours you want to study, how many words you want to learn. These are good ways of making sure you do some extra study.
- Have patience, learning English can not happen overnight, do not expect instant results or give up too soon.
How can you be competitive?
- If you live in a country with majority of English-speaking population, learning English is most advantageous.
- If you work in a bilingual position, good English skills can give you a significant career growth.
- If you plan on studying or working abroad in an English-speaking country, learning the language can be hugely beneficial.
- English is the most widely used language around the world and it is used for communication in a variety of fields.
- Often, people from different countries use English as their common language to communicate.
- A good command of English at work will uplift your career greatly. You may be able to work with International companies and organisations which may give you opportunities to travel.
- Your English communication skills can also open up new social circles to you.
There are many ways to improve your English skills. Whichever way you choose to study English, regular use of language will help you develop it most. Do a little bit of study each day, reading course materials, magazines, books, watching TV, listening to radio or communicate with others in English.