It has become a rare sight to see lot of students on grounds playing the good old game of cricket or hopscotch. Or to find libraries filled with students reading in silence. Pen pals which the students of 1900s used to have to keep in contact with their friends during the long summer vacations too is an antique concept now.
Technology and digital world are friends the students these days depend on. They no longer require another human being around. There are many children hardly aged 10, who are ace players when it comes to online games. The students now meet their peers online rather than in person.
Teachers do not have too many students surrounding them with doubts. They solve the issue by searching for answers online. The Internet is the all "supreme being" in the current scenario.
The whole deal of digital gadgets and technology may look like a "Hocus Pocus" to anyone who was born in the era when all these did not exist.
Apart from technology, the modern students' take on the whole education system has changed. Their behaviour towards parents, teachers, friends and others too are different.
Check out these following facts about the changing trends or evolving habits of modern students...
- Many students now claim that they cannot study without technology
- Keyboards have replaced paper and pens to take down notes
- Students send emails to communicate with their professors as against a face-to-face communication
- Those students who own an ereader read e-textbooks instead of the normal paperback textbooks
- For assignments and other related things, the students create presentations using digital devices
- Children are now investing in electronic items rather than plain toys like how it used to be several years ago
- Due to the increased interest showed by students in digital textbooks, they cost much lesser than the printed versions
- Notepads are being replaced by iPads in lecture halls. This promises a whole new array of new gadgets to aid the trend.
Also read: 10 iPad apps to showcase students learning
- Social networking sites are a whole new platform to put out talent, frustration, knowledge etc.
- Video chatting is the "in-thing" among students now
- Virtual flash cards and numerous apps in the market are not fun alone, but educative as well. Example: Evernote
- Grade calculators help students to calculate the marks they are required to score. It keeps a track of their GPA. Additionally, they also act as a reminder for due dates for assignments
- Students can audio record long lectures and study groups. They can even capture the visual when necessary. Example: Snoozerr Recordings
- There are gadgets which creates "to-do" list, tracks homework assignments and readings. Example: Wunderlist
- Students don't even require to stop by and ask someone for directions. With apps like "Aroundme" they can be their own guide. They can find banks, restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores and more.
- Further, more and more students are opting for online education over classroom studies
- Apart from this, children now are urging parents to learn technology
- There was once a time parents used to plan their child's future. Nowadays, students plan their own future.
- They have evolved into smarter human beings. They learn things with their own accord because they are well aware of the fact that it is a race, and if they become ignorant they will lose.
- They have well developed thinking abilities. For instance, there are more number of student-created items in the market in comparison to grown-up created devices or apps or ideas.
- The students now are highly in sync with the competitive world. They have become knowledge hungry, as a result we can see lakhs of students going abroad to study more each year.
- They are bold and wise. Students now are capable enough to judge for themselves what is right and what isn't. They are no longer timid and have more knowledge about current affairs than an adult of 1980s.
The drawback is that they lack patience. The fast-track life they are being prone to, has made them believe that anything which takes too much time is outdated. With the digital world occupying their minds, they may also be forgetting human emotions, family bonding, true friendships etc .
When innovation envelops the world, change is born. This is a totally different world we live in today. Our environment makes us what we are... and hence these habits of students are the result of the world that they are growing up in.
This is what we had to say, please share your views here https://www.facebook.com/careerindia.com