Indian Engineering Services include engineers who work for public sector under the government of India. They are designated as class - 1 officer. They administer sectors like Indian Railway, Power, Telecommunications, Central Water Engineering, Defense Service of Engineers and others.
After clearing the Engineering Services Examination (ESE), the candidate gets the post of Assistant Executive Engineer and can go up to the post of Chairman or Managing Director in the organization.
Exam pattern for IES:
A combined exam is conducted by UPSC for recruitment of engineers in IES. The Engineering Services Examination is conducted in three stages. The engineering streams for which these exams are conducted are:
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
The three stages of ESE is explained below:
- This exam will consist of two papers, Paper I and Paper II of objective type questions
- Paper I will be on General Studies and Engineering Aptitude
- The test for paper I will be of 2 hours and 200 marks in total
- Paper II will be based on the relevant engineering discipline
- The test for Paper II will be of 3 hours and 300 marks in total
- It will have two papers, paper I and Paper II of 3 hours and 300 marks each
- Both the papers will be based on the relevant engineering discipline
- Both the papers will have conventional type questions, that is, subjective questions
- After clearing the previous stages of ESE, the candidate will be called for face to face interview
- After document verification and medical exam he/she will join the organization
The last date to apply for the Indian Engineering Services exam 2017 is tomorrow 03 November 2016 till 6 pm.