What is Sound Engineering?
Sound Engineering is one of the branches of engineering discipline which deals with the study of music, movies and theatre in recording, manipulation, mixing and reproduction. This field is challenging but at the same time rewarding as well.
Sound Engineers develop a high quality recording of music, speech and sound effects in studios. They use technical instruments to produce sound for film, radio, television.
They usually arrive at the concert sight before the performers and are involved in unloading and setting up the equipment and instruments along with the road crew.
What is the scope?
There are engineers to record the sound for commercial music recordings, radio, television, films, advertisements, videos, websites, computer, mobile games and many more. It is one of the major revenue production fields and the importance is also higher.
The scope of sound engineering in India is limited, but it has huge potential for growth in entertainment industry. The demand for the sound engineers are increasing constantly. [What is Fine Arts]
What are the career options?
Career opportunities for sound engineer and technicians are available in various fields like radio stations, tv channels, studios, multimedia design, animation, advertising firms, movies and more. One can opt for specialised courses in technical skills such as sequencing, mastering, editing and recording. With proper experience he / she can become studio managers.
These students also opt for courses in universities abroad. There is strong competition for work in this field. Jobs are not often advertised, so you will have to be persistent and show initiative. [What is Marine Engineering]
What are the job roles?
- Sound Engineer
- Audio Engineer
- Studio Manager
- Production Assistant
- Assistant Engineer
- Acoustic Consultant
- Digital Remastering Engineer
- Live Sound Engineer
- Multimedia Developer
- Studio Designer
- Studio Technician
To find more information on jobs related to bioinformatics, you may click here.
Who can study this course?
- Candidates who have passed 10+2 in physics, chemistry and mathematics as compulsory subjects, can pursue Sound Engineering in bachelor's degree level.
- Candidates who have passed bachelor's degree in Sound Engineering are eligible to pursue Sound Engineering in master and doctoral level at Indian and foreign universities.
Top Colleges / Universities in India offering Sound Engineering:
- IIT Kharagpur
- Film and Television Institute of India, Pune
- National Institute of Film and Fine Arts, Kolkata
- Asian Academy of Film and Television, Delhi
- Grotek Institute of Film Technology, Kasargode
Top Colleges / Universities in abroad offering Sound Engineering:
- American University
- Belmont University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Lawrence Technological University