What is Physical Education?
We are in an era, where we love sports and realise the importance of sports. Playing sports (game) in schools and colleges level need not be considered just as a hobby. One can build their career in physical education to see various career options in it.
Physical Education aims to provide children and young people with learning experiences that enable them to develop:
1. The knowledge, motivation and competence to live a physically active life;
2. Physically, morally, intellectually and socially within an educational context where pupils are valued and cared for;
Physical Education in primary and secondary schools:
1. Forms part of the core curriculum and is also offered as national qualifications;
2. Offers a range of physical activities within, and beyond, the curriculum to engage children and young people in purposeful, worthwhile, enjoyable and enriching learning experiences;
3. Addresses a broad range of educational objectives through well planned and developmentally appropriate physical education programmes.
- Certificate Course on Physical Education (C.P.Ed)
- Diploma in Physical Education (D.P.Ed)
- Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed)
- Master of Physical Education (M.P.Ed)
What is the scope?
Physical activity must be learned; hence there is a need for thinking on the part of the intellectual mechanism, with a resulting acquisition of knowledge. Physical activities are essential for the development of a child's scientific insight, intelligence and superior type of reflective thinking.
What are the career options?
There are various career options in sports academy, health clubs, sports goods manufacturing companies, and in the areas of marketing. Also, there are opportunities as a commentator, sports journalist, sports trainer, school/college teacher (physical training), and many more.
What are the job roles for Physical Education?
- Assistant Professor
- Sports Manager
- Physical Therapist
- Physical Education Trainer
- Health Educator
- Fitness Instructor
- Sports Journalist
Who can study this course?
- Candidates who have passed 10+2 in any discipline can pursue, diploma or bachelor's degree in physical education in any Indian universities.
- Candidates who have passed bachelor's degree in physical education can opt for master's degree in physical education in Indian and Foreign Universities.
Industries / Companies / who hire these professionals:
- Sports Academy
- Fitness Centres
Top Colleges / Universities in India offering Physical Education:
- College of Physical Education, Pune
- Lakshmibai National College of Physical Education, Thiruvananthapuram
- Indira Gandhi Institute Of Physical Education and Sports Science, New Delhi
- Amity School of Physical Education and Sports Sciences, Noida
- Bombay Physical Culture Association's College of Physical Education, Mumbai
Top Colleges / Universities in abroad offering Physical Education:
- Arizona State University
- The University of Texas at Austin
- Texas A&M University
- University of Arizona
- California State University-Long Beach