Mechanical engineering has been used in various ancient and medieval societies throughout mankind. The field of mechanical engineering emerged as a particular discipline during the 18th century. The field has seen continuous development incorporating advancements in technology.
What is Mechanical Engineering?
Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies the principles of engineering, physics and material design for the design, production and operation of machinery.
Mechanical engineers use principles of mechanics, thermodymanics, electricity, materials science and others to design and analyze manufacturing plants, industrial equipment, machinery, aircraft, robots, weapons and others.
How to become a mechanical engineer?
The educational requirements to become a mechanical engineer is as follows:
- A bachelor degree in mechanical engineering is offered at various universities across the globe.
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical engineering programme is typically 4-5 years of study.
- Some mechanical engineers pursue a postgraduate degree in engineering/technology/science. The master's degree may not include research.
- A Ph.D includes a significant research component, students interested in academia and research can further pursue Ph.D after post-graduation.
What does a mechanical engineer do?
Mechanical engineers create and build mechanical devices. They apply the fundamentals of science and math to create practical, useful solutions that the rest of us can use. The mechanical engineering field is diverse, some of the most common functions related to mechanical engineering is as follows:
Product design - A mechanical engineer designs anything that uses mechanical motion to develop products useful to mankind.
Research and development - A mechanical engineer also discovers and improves methods to human needs.
Manufacturing - Mechanical engineers develop machines that process materials into products.
Design machines - The design and build machines and systems of machines that improve the efficiency and yields quality products with minimum costs.
System management - They also supervise and oversee the operations of large systems like power plants and more.
What is the scope of mechanical engineering?
There is a huge demand for skilled mechanical engineers in India and abroad. The expertise of a mechanical engineer is required in manufacturing industries like automobiles, aviation, etc. In the recent times and due to the advent in technology, the skills of a mechanical engineer is sought in fields such as nano-technology, biomedical engineering, energy conservation and more. According reports, the growth in this industry it is said within the next few years, mechanical engineering will be the highest paid career option.
Mechanical engineers can work in industries like thermal power plants, gas turbines, oil, refining, agriculture, education, aviation, automobile, armed forces, pharmaceutical and many more.
What are the job roles for a mechanical engineer?
- Automotive engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) engineer
- Nuclear engineer
- Robotics engineer
Mechanical engineers can find employment at virtually any institute where innovation takes place. They commonly work in the government, research, industry, military, teaching, management or consulting sectors.
Industries/Companies who hire mechanical engineers
- Automobile and auto part manufacturers
- Aerospace industry
- Various Government sector undertakings
- Aviation companies
- Steel plants
- Thermal plants and gas turbine manufacturers
- Air conditioning and refrigeration industry
- Shipping industry
- Engineering consultancies
- Armed forces
Salary structure for a mechanical engineer
- The typical salary range for a mechanical engineer fresher is between INR 10,000/- to INR 25,000/-
- The salary differs as per the industry and the level of the company,
- Some salary packages often vary based on your skills, experience, expertise and the nature of roles and responsibilities you handle.
- Skilled professionals can take away a high salary as INR 40,000-45,000 lacs.
Top Colleges/Universities in India offering Mechanical Engineering
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, BITS-Pilani
- Indian Institute of Technology, BHU-Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- National Institute of Technology, NIT Trichy
- National Institute of Technology, NITK, Surathkal
- Jadavpur University (Faculty of Engineering & Technology)
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology
- PSG College of Technology
- Malaviya National Institute of Technology
- Thapar University
Top Colleges/Universities abroad offering Mechanical Engineering
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
- Stanford University, USA
- University of Cambridge, UK
- University of California, Berkeley (UCB), USA
- University of Michigan, USA
- Imperial College London, UK
- Georgia Institute of Technology, USA