Get ready to turn your inspirations into designs with the Jewelry Design course. You will learn drafting, shading, design theory, how to illustrate shape and form using several mediums, and more. In fact, our country is renowned for its jewelry and its designing since ancient times. Add a little bling to the jewelry designing career.
Jewelry has a great economic significance in the Indian Industry and is regarded as a major source of investment.
What is jewelry design?
Jewelry design is the art or profession of designing and creating jewelry. The art has taken many forms throughout the centuries, from the simple beadwork of ancient times to the sophisticated metalworking and gem cutting is known in the modern day.
Traditional vs Modern methods used in jewelry design?
- Traditional hand-drawing and drafting methods are still utilized in designing jewelry, particularly at the conceptual stage. However, a shift is taking place to computer-aided design programs like Rhinoceros 3D and Matrix.
- Whereas the traditionally hand-illustrated jewel is typically translated into wax or metal directly by a skilled craftsman, a CAD model is generally used as the basis for a CNC cut or 3D printed 'wax' pattern to be used in the rubber molding or lost wax casting processes.
What is learned in jewelry designing?
- Understand jewelry design concepts acquire a working knowledge of jewelry artistry.
- Develop skills to illustrate the shape, form, and texture of metal work with drafting tools.
- Use drafting tools to render yellow and white metals, as well as a range of faceted and cabochon gemstones and pearls
- Illustrate rings in five different views discover how to keep your design ideas flowing.
- Developing motifs to create jewelry objects.
- Render jewelry designs using drafting tools for display as a participant in the final class design exhibition.
- Creating a portfolio of class projects and custom designs that are ready for presentation to potential clients and employers.
What is the possible career path in Jewellery designing?
Jewelry Designers, Jewellery Manufacturer.
What does a jewelry designer do?
Jewelry designers work with precious metals, diamonds, beads and gemstones to create wearable pieces of art. A jewelry designer may create one-of-a-kind pieces for high-end jewelers or an entire line for a mass-market fashion designer.
How much money can you make as a jewelry designer?
Jewelry designer salaries can vary greatly, but some successful jewelry designers can make a decent living wage from their designs. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for these sorts of professionals was $39,940 year.
- For Diploma, Degree and Certificate courses in Jewellery designing, one should have passed 10+2 or equivalent examination from any stream of a recognized institution. Several short-term courses are offered for those who have completed their 10th class.
- Before qualifying for the course, a student has to pass an aptitude test followed by an interview.
- Crash courses are also offered to the working professionals and students. Training in this field may include art classes through technical schools, along with computer-aided jewelry design training in specific software packages like Rhino, Jewel Cad, Auto Cad, 3D Studio, etc.
- Moreover, the use of Photoshop, Corel Draw and in-depth analysis of volume, weight and metal composition are generally considered to be vital parts of the jewelry designing syllabus.
Duration of the course?
- Duration of the courses may vary from 3-6 months to 2-3 years.
- The minimum age required is 15 years. As part of their curriculum, most institutes conduct special workshops for students.
- The most vital attribute needed for a jewelry designer is the sense of design and a passion for the profession.
- They should be creative, imaginative, technically sound with the fashion industry, and committed to work.
- A jewelry designer should inculcate skills in drawing and computer designing, an open mind that can visualize designs from anything and everything, skills to understand the latest trends and practical skills with tools and materials.
- They must also possess a working knowledge of manufacturing, understanding of various metals and gemstones and must have numerical skills for measuring, calculating costs of materials and pricing items.
Some of the career prospects in the field of jewelry designing are:
- In Jewellery Stores.
- Manufacturing Companies.
- Self Employment.
- Teaching and Research.
- Independent Shop/ Private Studios.
- Fairs and Flea Markets.
Top 6 jewelry designing colleges in India:
- Indian Institute of Gems and Jewellery- New Delhi & Mumbai.
- Gemmological Institute of India- Mumbai.
- Indian Institute of Jewellery- Mumbai.
- Pearl Academy of Fashion- Delhi, Jaipur, Mumbai and Noida
- ARCH Academy of Design- Jaipur.
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology- Art and Design College in Bangalore, India.
Popular Design Entrance Exams in India:
- NID Entrance.
- NIFT Entrance.
Jewelry courses available:
- Online jewelry courses.
- Diploma Courses.
Interested candidates can opt for these courses.
This interesting career will help you learn and explore the art of Jewellery and various other processing that goes into the technology of jewelry making.