What is Fashion Communication?
Fashion Communication is one of the newest and upcoming fields in the fashion industry. Today, the fastest growing field is fashion and many Indian brands are competing with international brands.
This has opened up tremendous possibilities for a designer of fashion communication, who will work on design strategies, brands, portfolios etc. He / she will also work on areas such as visual merchandising, styling, graphic design, display and exhibit design, advertising, public relations, and creative writing.
Students with a degree in fashion communication, will have high level of skill and domain knowledge, and will emerge as professionals who offer extremely effective communication solutions for the fashion and lifestyle industry.
What is the scope?
Students will learn about the process of design and how to apply human centered approach to problem solving. An optimum mix of traditional and new design skills is offered along subject like history of design and creative process.
The curriculum includes areas such as graphic design, visual merchandising / retail experience design, exhibition and display design, event management, photography, styling, advertising, public relations and creative writing specific to fashion and lifestyle industry.
A good course in communication will arm you with an understanding of web and multimedia design, computer graphics, illustration, product design, exhibition design, visualising and art direction, typography and photography.
What are the career options?
Fashion Communication students emerge as dynamic professionals qualified to offer the most effective and financially viable communication solutions for the fashion and lifestyle industry.
Fashion Communications covers a diversity of opportunities in marketing, advertising, public relations, and journalism and has long been considered one of the industry's untapped career resources.
Students in this area study illustration, packaging, computer graphics, photography, and fashion event planning and production.
What are the job roles?
- Fashion Designer
- Graphic Designer
- Fashion Journalist
- Design Assistant
- Fashion Assistant
- Fashion Marketing Manager
- Fashion Editor
- Fashion Photographer
- Art Director
To find more information on jobs related to Fashion Communication, you may click here.
List companies who hire these professionals:
- Shopper's Stop
- Marks & Spencers
- Christian Dior
- Lopez Designs
- Times of India
- Asian Age
Who can study this course?
- Candidates who have passed 10+2 in any discipline can pursue Fashion Communication in bachelor's degree level.
- Candidates who have passed bachelor's degree in Fashion Communication are eligible to pursue Fashion Communication in master and doctoral level at Indian and foreign universities.
Top Colleges / Universities in India offering Fashion Communication:
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai
- Symbiosis Institute of Design
Top Colleges / Universities in abroad offering Fashion Communication:
- Central Saint Martins, London
- Parsons, The New Schools for Design, New York
- Bunka Fashion College / Bunka Women's University, Tokyo
- Fashion Institute of Technology, New York
- Ecole De La Chambre Syndicale, Paris