What is the Disaster Management Course About:
The course focuses on the the causes of disasters and and how to minimise their impact.The course enables student to learn different areas of disaster management, which includes management of the situation, response to the needs of the people and the area, evacuation process, distribution of food and medical care for the injured people.
During the course student will be introduced to environmental systems, ﬁeld operations and organisational management, and as Disaster Management.
There are number of universities and institutes offering certificate, undergraduate, post graduate, PG Diploma and Research degree.
Who Can Pursue the Course?
Requirements for courses in disaster management varies according to the institution and the course they have introduced in the university. Before taking admission check with the institutions what grades and qualification you want pursue before you submit the application.
- Students from any streams are eligible to join the course.
- Candidate should have passed Higher Secondary Certificate Examination (10+2) with minimum of 55% marks .to pursue the certificate and bachelor course
- For PG Programmes: Candidate should hold graduation in any field from any recognised institute or a University.
- For Ph.D: Candidate should have minimum of 55% marks in the Post Graduation
Courses Offered in the Field:
- Emergency planning procedures
- Hazards, risks and disasters
- Technological development, environmental and sustainable development
- Law and management fundamentals
- Political, international and social issues
- Roles of key agencies
- Relief co-ordination and planning
- Field skills
- Disaster theory, statistics and logistics
- Disaster mitigation, preparedness and response
- Earth catastrophes, fire and explosion
- Physical, psychological and social reconstruction of disaster-affected communities
Top Colleges Offer UG/PG/Other Courses in Disaster Management:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (New Delhi)
- University of North Bengal (Darjeeling)
- International Centre of Madras University (University of Madras)
- Mahatma Gandhi University (Kottayam)
- Disaster Management Institute (Bhopal)
- Centre for Disaster Management (Maharashtra)
- The National Civil Defense College (Nagpur) and
- National Institute Of Disaster Management (Delhi).
There are good employment opportunities the government as well as in private organizations.
Opportunities in Government agencies:
Employment opportunities are offered in the disaster management departments of government agencies such as: Fire departments, drought management departments, law enforcement authorities, relief agencies etc and Insurance companies, industries in the high-risk fields like chemicals, mining, and petroleum which have their own disaster management cells.
- Jobs can also be available in the public sector.
- Various opportunities are also offered in the fields of teaching, research, consultancy, documentation, training organizer, field training and mock driller expert.
- One can serve as social workers, engineers, medical health experts, environmental experts, rehabilitation workers, etc.
- NGOs and International organizations such as World Bank, Asian Development Bank (ADB), United Nations Organisations (UNO), Red Cross, UNESCO offer various opportunities for professionally trained disaster management professionals
- Graduates in disaster management can start their own consultancy
- Network administrator
- Database analyst
- Security Administration
- Operations Analyst
Government and non-government organisations have their own salary packages, which is based on the industry standards
- At an entry level, one can earn around Rs 8,000 - Rs 10,000 per month
- Candidates with 2 or 3 year's experience can easily earn between Rs 15,000 - 20,000 per month
- Well experienced candidates can draw up to Rs 1,50,000 per month
Here are some organisations that offer jobs in the disaster management:
- National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM), Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India, New Delhi
- SAARC Disaster Management Centre, NIDM Building, New Delhi
- National Disaster Management Authority, Near Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), Indraprastha Estate, Ring Road, New Delhi
- India Meteorological Department, Lodhi Road, New Delhi
- Centre of Disaster Management, HCMRIPA, JLN Marg, Jaipur
- Haryana Institute of Public Administration (HIPA), Gurgaon
- Ambedkar Institute of Public Administration, Chandigarh
- Shri Krishna Institute of Public Administration, Ranchi
- G.B.Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development, Nainital, Uttarakhand
- Disaster Management Centre, Bhopal
- Disaster Mitigation Institute, Ahmedabad
- Centre for Disaster Management, Guru Govind Singh Indraprastha University, Kashmeri Gate, Delhi
- Indian Agriculture Research Institute (ICAR), New Delhi
- Indian Red Cross Society, New Delhi and States Units