What is Anthropology?
Anthropology is the study of humans, past and present. To understand the full sweep and complexity of cultures across all of human history, anthropology draws and builds upon knowledge from the social and biological sciences as well as the humanities and physical sciences.
Anthropologists also compare humans with other animals (most often, other primates like monkeys and chimpanzees) to see what we have in common with them and what makes us unique.
Branches of Anthropology:
- Cultural Anthropology
- Biological Anthropology
- Linguistic Anthropology
- Archaeological Anthropology
What is the scope of Anthropology?
Anthropologists contribute significantly to interdisciplinary fields such as international studies and ethnic and gender studies, and some work in academic research centers.
Anthropologists conduct scientific and humanistic studies of the culture and evolution of humans.
What are the career options for Anthropology:
Anthropologists can start their career in different sectors, like colleges, universities, government agencies, NGOs, business, health and human services.
These graduates can also get jobs at private businesses, community organisations, museums, independent research institutes, service organisations, media. In most reputed organisations like, Centers for Disease Control, UNSECO, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and world bank.
What are the job roles for Anthropology?
- Medical Researcher
- Field Investigator
- Education Anthropologist
- Economic Anthropologist
- Business Anthropologist
To find more information on jobs related to Anthropology degree, you may click here.
Who can study this course?
- Candidates with science background at the 10+2 level is preferred for a B.Sc in Anthropology.
- Candidates must have a bachelor's degree in Anthropology to pursue anthropology in master level.
- One must have a M.Sc degree in order to get an entry level job in the field. If you want to work with international development agencies as an advisor you got to have a Ph.D degree in the subject.
Industries / Companies / who hire these professionals:
- Archeology Department
- Government Agencies
- Private Business Agencies
- Human and Health Services Organisations
- Computers/Software Development/Information Technology
Top Colleges / Universities in India offering Anthropology:
Top Colleges / Universities in abroad offering Anthropology:
- Central Michigan University
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Oxford
- Duke University
- Stanford University